750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

November 15, 2007

NV Paul Bara, Bouzy Grand Cru Brut Reserve

I'll keep it simple with a wine this good. Point blank, it's one of the most complex non-vintage champagnes on the market. It's 100% Bouzy pinot noir, which makes it 100% grand cru. But if you know Bouzy, you know its "grand cru" status means more than just impeccable fruit. There's strong, heady terroir here that, in rare cases like this, coddles the highborn pinot noir grape into something that surpasses its Burgundian roots. The Bara is rich, very toasty, and elegant, but so powerful the flute could crack against the weight of it. Which is how I feel on the inside--ready to erupt, shoot right out of myself, and run down the street chanting his name.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I couldn't agree more. My wife and I has Christmas dinner at Pierre at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Hong last year and the sommelier recommended a glass of this to get us started for the evening... sensational.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi