750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

March 16, 2005

03 Isabel, Sauvignon Blanc

Pour this on top of a cheese pizza and bake at 450 for 9 minutes, or stuff with panko breadcrumbs, italian sausage, and cheese--but for drinking, let it fry. Time and again, I take away nothing but the graces of green bell pepper from this wine. I don't drink vegetables. There's actually quite a lot going on here with acid that seems to undergo malolactic right in the glass and fresh flavors of grapefruit zest, white flowers, and herbs. But please guys, cut back on the capsicum next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger caveman said...

'Chiffon-draped blueberries dragged in mud?' Beautiful.. I know that wine. Have you tried the Kim Crawford Sauvignon... it's one of the few New Zealanders that I drink often. And with an onslaught of flacid 03 Sancerres hitting the market, we need a new source of toe-curling wines.
Caveman

8:18 PM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

. . . I didn't know I could feel that way about merlot (then again, I have yet to try even one grand cru right bank).

I have had the Kim Crawford and rather like it. The last vintage, the one that Wine Spectator loved so much, is the one I've had. It was slightly sparkling on two different tries, which was nice but a little distracting. The flavors were wonderfully pure.

Are the 03 Sancerres really that bad? I love Sancerre, but I haven't had any 03s yet.

The Crawford's definetly toe-curling. For my money, I'm really into Huia (search for notes).

8:15 AM  
Blogger caveman said...

It made me think of a 99 Terte Roteboeuf.. Big St-Emilion and very expensive but dense and foreboding.

I have tried 3 2003 Sancerres and they are all too ripe. Even Jolivet, my go to guy is a bit on the over-ripe side but so it is for most of the 03 whites. Have to seek out the vieilles vignesbut even with that, it promises to be pretty atypical.
Caveman

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi