750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

April 22, 2006

03 K Vintners, Walla Walla Valley En Chamberlin Vineyard "Roma"

Raspberry mocha truffle... with sprinkles. The 03 Roma is really two wines--some of the best damn cabernet and some of the best damn syrah I've had from Walla--each equally bold and distinct. First, the 70% cab hits on the nose with smoky burnt rubber and wildfire bursts that remind me of Dubrul. It's rich, decadent, and no less dramatic on the palate, championing the grapey flesh of ultraripe Washington cabernet. But then syrah bleeds in, flooding bright raspberries so fresh and concentrated that I can taste their jam, tiny seeds and all. Cabernet buoys the wine, though, underlying it with such a glorious mocha flavor that I nearly have no need for Starbucks anymore. No, I can't see myself drinking anything that isn't Roma right now, or tasting anything else after its long finish of Irish coffee, Big League Chew, macerated cherries, and sweet maduro tobacco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi