750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

March 25, 2008

06 Domaine de la Pepiere, Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie Clos des Briords Cuvee Vieilles Vignes

I want to wrap prosciutto around the rim of the glass, fingerpaint the label with swaths of lard. It's clear this comes from something very lovely. Nowhere else could honeydew melon taste so sensual, but in a bottle of wine. Is it just because the grape is called melon de Bourgogne that I'm saying that? If you were writing this note, I would say so. But I snagged this bottle out of the fridge on my way out the door and opened it with dinner before looking. I had no idea what I was drinking, just that it was something I needed more of fast. Ripe and musky with an afterthought of full fat cream and tangerine, you'd think it were sweet if not for the bracing minerality and quince-like acidity that take over, make you think this is perhaps from somewhere just south and east of here, in another region known for its glut of dull white wines from which a few always emerge stoned but alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi