750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

January 29, 2009

06 J. Christopher, Pinot Noir Dundee Hills "Sandra Adele"

I think this is what Stafford Hill meant to do with the great 2002 vintage. I'll never forget that wine because it floored me, completely floored me, with what it did with that glorious vintage. I remember thinking this must be a joke. This isn't 2002 Oregon pinot noir. It's a secret Moldovan pinot from the future. It would take such a pogrom-inflected palate to take something as sweet and balanced as 2002 Oregon pinot noir and turn it into a militia. Either that, or it's an errant Jay Somers bottle with "Pavillon" written in White-Out on the neck. I tried this wine blind today and those seven sentences were the first thing I thought. So maybe it's no surprise that Stafford Hill is the second label for Jay Somers' Holloran label, and that the Le Pavillon vineyard is right smack in the jory (red, sponge-looking and sponge-tasting, sea-inflected loam) soil of Dundee Hills. Either terroir exists or Jay sweats star anise and cumin from his fingertips on the triage. I've caught this wine early, but there's no doubt it's a classic Oregon pinot noir. Unlike his more floral and contained 05, 04, and 02 (for God's sake, will someone please sell me a 2003?), this 06 has all but given up on any idea of elegance. Sure, to a Cahors drinker, this would seem mild, but its Funkberry(TM) and marrow aroma yield to a thin, but strong and medicinal palate completely consumed by licorice. The fruit is there, but it's wild: some raspberries sweet, others touched with a tinge of fox piss. Truth is, I've opened it just a few months early (which is why I have two other bottles). Because with some aeration (take a sip, press your lips together, and suck the air in through your cheeks) this wine reminds me of a high-end Oregon pinot tasting run by some mad, fascist, and entirely inspirational Oregon pinot hound (not that I've ever worked with anyone who fits that description). This glass in a year is the tasting that sold 10 cases in an hour. It has the nuance of Eyrie, the arrow-straight fruit of J. Christopher, the whimsy of Runaway Red, the lust of Sineann and Owen Roe, the candy of Bergstrom, and the unadulterated pleasure of Charmes on a Thursday in November. It's not a great wine, yet. Without some serious thinking and aeration, it completely falls apart. On release, it's the most dull of all the Sandra Adeles I've had, and I'm not sure if the shift is a result of vintages or personality. To be honest, I'd pay to see something like the 2002 happen again. But in these times, the 06 Sandra has a dominant place. There's no doubt Jay has style, one he's stuck with over at least the past five vintages, that--outside of the Ken Wright wines--may most clearly express what it means to be Oregon pinot noir.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Very well described. I was also a bit dismayed by the '06 (too hot a year?) I promptly visited an '05 I had later to remind myself of how nice the Adele can be...

3:11 PM  
Blogger RJ's Wine Blog said...

i just posted a book review on "the grail" and if you're interested in dundee hills wines, definitely worth a read. very entertaining.

http://rjswineblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/book-reviewthe-grail-year-ambling.html

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree on The Grail. I thought it was one of the most poorly written books I have ever read in any genre. Forget about the grammar and the awkward style, there were so many "it was a dark and stormy night" moments that I stopped thinking about the Lange family and their wines and began turning each page to see what ridiculous notion was coming up next. I love the Lange family and their wines, which is the only reason I bothered to finish this book. When I found out the author actually edits an alumni magazine for a living I was stunned. Reading this book was painful.

11:44 PM  
Blogger RJ's Wine Blog said...

i thought that too about the grail when i first starting reading it. everything i learned in college from my english literature major felt like it was going up in flames, particularly with his extremely long, rambling sentences...but, about halfway through, i started just reading it as it was written and let myself enjoy the simple and sometimes cheesey stories he included. certainly not a masterpiece, but still found it entertaining. then again, i was on vacation for two weeks when i read it and now that i'm back to work, it's possible i may not have the patience for it...

12:52 AM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

Well, thank goodness you explained that for us! Especially on a post about Oregon wine. Spambot: Work harder.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi