750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

July 19, 2005

02 Gautheron, Chablis 1er Cru Les Fourneaux Vielles Vignes

Denser than the 2003, far less acidic than the 2001, and the most youthful of these three vintages, this 2002 Gautheron expresses Chablis simply and quietly. The aroma is singular, but robust--a missile of freshly-cut Granny Smith apples, uncompromised by looming acid. The body is buttery, though the taste is distinctly mineral-laden. At this point, the fatty texture actually overpowers the flavors, which are delicately appley with minor notes of savory spice and nougat. Rich enough to where I probably would've pegged this one as a young Burgundy--"blank"-Montrachet if I had to.

3 Comments:

Blogger 750 mL said...

A nice pairing with buttery Moore family stone-ground polenta and sauteed squash.

11:02 PM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

Hey, good to see you back. I've tried a lot of Aussie shiraz, but I haven't written up much because I haven't bought too many of them.

One huge exception is the 03 Mitolo G.A.M. which rocked my world. The 98 Penfold's Grange was also pretty spectacular, but I've only had one glass of it.

I typically enjoy low-end Aussie shiraz for their value. A blind tasting of the 02 Marquis Philips Sarah's Blend (shiraz, cab, merlot) was eye-opening.

Good point, though. I will try to write-up more Aussie wines in the future.

10:13 AM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

In its second day (open and refrigerated), the minerality blossoms. Well, "blossoms" seems right, but it's not vulgar enough. The minerality ... "cauterizes," turning this wine into any French chardonnay lover's dream. Nougat turns to almond butter. I am so lucky to have two more bottles. Expect a new tasting note on this in Fall 2006.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi