750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

January 29, 2011

07 Cayuse Vineyards, Walla Walla Valley En Chamberlin Vineyard Syrah

Nothing's really happened to the wine over the year I've been drinking it. In fact, it's really still not much different than the 05 Cailloux. Same burnt, sulfury dark fruit. Smoky, mysterious. Not particularly different than dressing a deer in the field during a forest fire. Except that I asked my friends, who don't normally drink these wines, if they liked it. One said, "yeah." The other: "Yeeeeeaaahhhhh." So you have it. This is a tremendous wine. A syrah that, if you know syrah, you'll get. You won't necessarily want it, but you'll get. Maybe, if you think hard enough, behind all these carnal flavors that, if you wait, will blow off into more natural fruit by the next morning, there's even a bit of orange. You won't care. You'll just sit there. And you'll leave your glass and order a gin tonic instead. Or you'll sit there and, when someone turns to you and says, Miss, I think this is your scarf, you'll turn, eyes glazed, mouth open in anticipiation, "Yeeeeaaahhh."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Eric landon said...

Sounds like an interesting wine from a great region. Have you heard of Blaufränkisch, its a Syrah that we wrote about from Austria. I love an interesting Syrah.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these wines. En Chamberlin got the big write up this year - however I feel as if En Cerise is far superior - En Cerise is by far my favorite Cayuse wine. I have drank all these wines in multiple vintages - if you have the chance try the En Cerise!

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi