750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

October 19, 2005

03 K Vintners, Walla Walla Valley En Cerise Vineyard "Ovide"

Is there such a thing as chocolate stew? Is there something slow-cooked in old cast iron with cocoa nibs, root vegetables, maybe a few hunks of macheted goat? Dedicated "For My Father - Robert Ovide," this blend of 65% cabernet and 35% syrah is Charlie Smith's most masculine wine, but it isn't fat and gaudy. The focus is pure fruit, despite enough oak to add mint chocolate to the aroma of pencil wood, eraser dust, blackberry jam, and eucalyptus. As expected, the dark berries are incredibly concentrated on the palate, but I never thought I'd taste every part of a pencil. A surging strike of acidity segues into French vanilla bean and tinny dark chocolate that might even conduct electricity. You could power a small flashlight with my teeth right now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More importantly, do you? like the wine? Nice descriptors, but reading between the lines, it doesn't seem as if "Ovide" is going to make the list of wines you'd take with you to a desert island.

The K Vintners Viognier was pretty good, showing only a little more heat than than the usual domestic Viognier. Not Condrieu, but not bad.

11:10 PM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

If I was going to a desert island, I'd probably take lots of water and malaria medicine.

I don't always care to make pure quality judgments. With this wine, I was more moved by its many tastes, than I was with any desire to recommend it.

In some sense, I recommend everything I drink because people need to taste for themselves and decide whether the wine's good or bad.

Would you seriously not drink a wine you were interested in just because someone else told you not to?

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure somewhere in the realm of molecular gastronomy chocolate stew does exist; though, my grandmother used to call the traditional Polish blood soup "chocolate soup" until my father & his siblings figured out the truth. That's got to be a harsher childhoold reality than learning there is no Santa Claus.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi