750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

June 09, 2007

NV Mionetto, Prosecco Valdobbiadene "Sergio"

Mountain Dew. Maybe Diet Mountain Dew. Mionetto shows off the off-dry/"extra dry" (i.e., slightly sweet) style with the "Sergio," a soda-like sparkling wine probably best with a bit of spicy food or boiled jumbo shrimp cocktail. Poolside sipper. Bellini maker. I'm so tired of wines like this. Is it global warming or the warming of our global palate that makes winemakers distance themselves from the grape itself? Where is the bitterness of prosecco? The dry minerality? The rind and the pith--not just the supreme?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so typical of Mionetto. I hate their shit. I remember an interview with a master sommelier on Grape Radio and paraphrasing but in the gist of it he put it thus: Many wine drinkers talk a game. They say dry and favor sweet, ask for cellar temperature and over-chill, want terrior and buy Parker wines.

9:24 AM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

Sorry for soiling your glasses with this.

At the very least, Mionetto should write "Extra-Dry" on the label.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I neglected to mention this was the only one I hadn't tried. So it's not a wasted experience. Anything new should at least have one fair chance.

10:30 AM  
Blogger johnny ride said...

hey, i guess i'm sorry i sold you the sergio, considering you are SOOO much knowledgeble than i am, but i like it. dude. chill on your curmudgeonliness. this is tasty wine. it's $20. it is for everyday. and for everyone, not just your rich ass. xo johnny ride. p.s. miss ya at the 'screw.

1:40 AM  
Blogger 750 mL said...

Hey, I have these magic beans to sell you. They're only $20, so if they don't work, it's OK. They're everyday beans.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opinions are neither right nor wrong. They are opinions. If I stated,
"it's a fact Sergio sucks" then I'm wrong. Sergio deviates from my favored prosecco profile of crisp mineral crisp citrus/white fruit refreshing quality. Sergio is sugary. Not sweet fruit but legitimate sugar.

Also this is the same company that uses the same product in a psuedo-Tynant bottle with a MacDonalds packet of Peach Syrup wired to the neck.

I also dislike electra, moscato d'asti, most dessert wines including Y'quem, sweet ports, Australian muscats and any other of that ilk.

Sugar masks. So when I taste sugar my radar goes up and I ask what else is wrong. I've talked to too many winemakers in the last 14 years that have told me time and time again (excepting dessert wines)that RS or added sugar is a tool of the trade for when a wine goes awry.

In my personal and highly individualized not to be construed as inflammatory or influential in any way opinion a really good prosecco is Soligo.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi