750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

May 31, 2008

NV Brut Dargent, Brut Blanc de Blancs

This is a construction wine. A bubbly, sprightly reason to build things--roof decks, patios, an ark to captain through a lake of this wine--anything to uncork the thirst that this Champagne-style sparkler from Jura lives to satisfy. Clean and cidery with hints of Lemonheads and Mountain Dew, it's a bolder alternative to "table sparklers" like Cava. It's hair of the dog for Champagne lovers who have been on a years-long, credit-destroying bender with similar toasty brioche smokiness, grapefruit rind and golden apple flavors, and a dry, steely finish. Truth be told, though, that steeliness really starts to wear on me, and before I know it I feel like someone's switched my glass with Andre. Or, worse, that I'm surrounded by 20-somethings at a dinner party talking French politics and the fundamentals of grad school applications. It's my own little hell. I hate where I am, and yet there's no one I would rather be. Even on a hot summer's day with the AC busted, I'd want to drip with sweat, fume with fatigue, climb the rickety scaffolding onto whatever I've created, and drench myself with this bottle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHat do I think?

I think youre a funny guy

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drank this as a palate cleanser after a number of whites concluding in the Peter Michael l'Apres Midi 2006 and before moving into Ridge Geyserville 1995, Ch Larcis Ducasse 1970, etc. What was I thinking?!

This is a beautiful little number that could use a lick of saucisson sec. Or it's a refreshing stand-alone wine. Not to be caught up in a brothel of oak and burly red characters.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi