750 mL

An independent, public journal of tasting notes for hundreds of wines from around the world.

Sign up to receive The Short Pour: 750 mL's quarterly newsletter of wine news and notes.


Follow me on Twitter @750_mL or email 750mL.blogspot@gmail.com

November 30, 2006

01 Arnoux et Fils, Cotes du Rhone Seigneur de Lauris

This is a simple, earthy wine that reminds me of sitting along the Seine, watching trash barges tow empty carnets of Gauloises and other heaps of the city's waste northward to the English channel. Truth is, all we ever drank in France was Kronenberg from the can, and we made fun of the posh urbanites buying wine at the street market behind us. This is what I imagined they were drinking. Delightfully singular and consistently funky, it proudly expresses the winemaker's Vacqueyras base, where the grenache grape is often wild, tasting of black licorice, tart red currants, black cherry jam, marjoram, and furry red berries picked from the bush. They should sell magnums of this wine with pizza made with a shy spread of pureed San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, and pepperoni--and deliver it to me. I'll be waiting by the river, beneath the stench of trash, with a can of Kronenberg in my hand.

1 Comments:

Blogger 750 mL said...

Not that he'd ever read this blog, but thanks to Buddy for turning me on to this wine. For someone who markets himself as a "zin man," I appreciate his passion for old world wine.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  © 2005-2011 Nilay Gandhi